VARIANT=DEBUG not working?

David Querbach querbach at realtime.bc.ca
Wed Jan 26 19:43:54 UTC 2005

With a current checkout (20050124), "make VARIANT=DEBUG" does not seem to
cause CFLAGS_DEBUG to be set to the expected value for the ss555 target.

Upon detailed examination of the source, it's not clear to me where VARIANT
is handled and where VARIANT_V is defined in the building of the RTEMS
libraries.

With source from last April, cpukit/automake/compile.am provided the
following code:

  ## translate VARIANT into VARIANT_V
  VARIANT = OPTIMIZE

  VARIANT_OPTIMIZE_V = OPTIMIZE
  VARIANT_DEBUG_V = DEBUG
  VARIANT_optimize_V = OPTIMIZE
  VARIANT_debug_V = DEBUG

  VARIANT_V = $(VARIANT_$(VARIANT)_V)

VARIANT and VARIANT_V are then used in make/compilers/gcc-target-default.cfg
and c/src/make/compilers/gcc-target-default.cfg to set CFLAGS_DEBUG and so
forth.

In the current source, the above code exists only in make/main.cfg, which is
included by make/custom/default.cfg, which is in turn included by all
make/custom/<BSP>.cfg's, including make/custom/ss555.cfg.

make/custom/ss555.cfg is then included by all of the testsuites programs,
but is NOT included in the building of the RTEMS libraries themselves.
Thus, the VARIANT=DEBUG variable is ignored when building RTEMS itself.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Regards,

David Querbach
Real-Time Systems Inc.