rpm error

Ed Sutter esutter at lucent.com
Mon Jan 3 18:58:48 UTC 2005

> Ed Sutter wrote:
>
>> Probably a dumb question...
>> I'm trying for the first time to install the RTEMS tool binaries
>> onto a Linux Box running RH9.  I get the following message...
>> "package .... is intended for i686 architecture"
>> and then subsequent packages don't install because this is a
>> prerequisite.
>>
>> I'm taking a guess here, but could this error be related to the fact
>> that my linux box (old) is an AMD-K6-2 based box?  If not, does anyone
>> have a clue?
>

> Sounds like that is the issue.  I don't have experience with AMD CPUs
> but if it isn't >= i686, then it won't work.
>
> The alternative is to use the RPM specs and just build them for that
> machine.

Not sure what you mean by "RPM specs".  Are you suggesting that I rebuild
"rpm" itself?  If so, I don't think "rpm" is the problem, it appears that
the package rpm is trying to open is the problem (I've used rpm on other
packages on this machine in the past).  Assuming that's true,
does this mean I have to build the binaries (binutils and gcc) from scratch?
:-(
Ed