Network on POSIX (linux) target?

Tue Jan 11 12:09:37 UTC 2005

Karel Gardas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've found this thread from 2000:
>
> http://www.rtems.com/ml/rtems-users/2000/october/msg00189.html
>
> and I'm curious if there are any news about networking setup for POSIX
> RTEMS target. From looking into sources, I would guess that the networking
> is unimplemented for POSIX, but I'm not sure if it is not hidden (shared
> from) somewhere.

That patch never got merged.  You have two options:

   + merge that patch or
   + work with a simulator that supports networking.

Personally I prefer the latter.  The unix/posix BSP is always a bit
of a hack and is using native Linux/UNIX services.  When using a
simulator, you are really closer to bare metal.

qemu can run the pc386 BSP and networking is known to work.
Some of the simulators in gdb might support networking but
AFAIK no one has ever pursued that.