IRQ latency and context switching on mvme5500 (was Re: RTEMSmvme5500 bsp)

Kate Feng feng1 at bnl.gov
Thu Jul 28 14:30:27 UTC 2005

Karel Gardas wrote:

> Kate,
>
> your experiments looks nice and in favour of RTEMS, but do you have any
> numbers comparing latencies between receiving ethernet packet and reading
> data from the socket in an application? Or perhaps simple latency
> meassurements between two RTEMS and two vxWorks BSPs connected by ethernet
> with as simple as possible echo service should be fine too and giving
> clear picture.

Do you mean you need  comparison on the network performance of
the two ports  between RTEMS and vxWorks ?   I  did that  using
"EPICS  catime benchmark software" posted at:
http://www.aps.anl.gov/epics/

The result for the 10/100MHZ port is posted at :
http://www.aps.anl.gov/epics/tech-talk/2005/msg00265.php

The  result  for the  1GHZ port  is posted at :
http://www.aps.anl.gov/epics/tech-talk/2005/msg00469.php

Both of them show slightly higher performance
in RTEMS-mvme5500    as the number of channels increase.
I  experienced 'buffer problems'  on the subnets
of NSLS while testing the 10/100MHZ port of the vxWorks-mvme5500.
Someone else experienced the same  problem on
a different subnet  in England with vxWorks-mvme5500.   So far,
I  did not  experience  any  problem with  RTEMS-mvme5500.
I am very happy with its performance.

Regards,
Kate