Ethernet Driver

Thomas Doerfler (nt) Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
Fri Jul 22 17:41:21 UTC 2005

Hi,

if you look at the gen68360 BSP (m68k architecture, always using the old
exception handling), you will see that ethernet is "compatible" with
both exception handling methods. The API of the two exception handling
models differs, but I think you are aware of this.

The crashes of your CPU can have a lot of reasons. Since the LED on your
board is on, you might experience a "checkstop" condition, which means,
you get an exception while the processing of machine check exceptions is
disabled. Typically this is caused by a stack overrun or a severe bug in
the exception handling code.

Where is the interrupt line of the ethernet controller connected to? And
what kind of debugging capabilities do you have on this board
(JTAG/UART/LEDs/???).

wkr,
Thomas.

Doyle, Bryon Thomas (Bryon) schrieb:
> Hello, Over the past week or so my task has been to add Ethernet functionality to the CSB472, a slightly modified version of the gen405 BSP package. I have created an Ethernet driver using other RTEMS Ethernet drivers and a Ethernet driver for the board that was designed for another RTOS. The problem that I am having now I believe is with the exception handling; I know that the gen405 BSP is still using the old exception handling model, and from looking around in the other BSP that also still uses the old exception handling model I see that it does not offer Ethernet support.  My question is can the old exception handling model support the burden of an Ethernet driver? I am inclined to think so, but the absence of any other BSP that uses old exception handling and has an Ethernet driver built in, begs me to ask the question. Also I have traced through the initialization of my driver and RTEMS crashes with a CPU error (SYSERR LED on the board lighting up, which I believe is
 m!
>  apped to several machine check exception's happening back to back) as soon as the Ethernet interrupts are enabled through the universal interrupt controller. Which leads me to think that the problem is somewhere within the RTEMS exception handling code.  If anybody has any insight it would be greatly appreciated, thanks again.
>

> Bryon Doyle
> Summer Intern, Bell Labs
> Lucent Technologies

D-82178 Puchheim          Germany