Building RTEMS from cvs, bootstrap problems

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Mar 3 13:33:52 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 06:17 -0600, Joel Sherrill  wrote:
> John Alexandersson wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm having problems trying to bootstrap the current CVS version of RTEMS.
> >
> > Here is how I do it:
> >
> > 1) download latest version of RTEMS from CVS
> >
> > 2) run './bootstrap' in the root directory
> >      Here I get loads of errors from automake. (Is that as expected?)
> >
> > 3) run './configure --target=sparc' in the root directory
> >    Here I get the following error:
> >     "configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in . ./."
> >
> > Am I doing any obvius error here, like missing a step or something?
> > Is there anyone else out there that has run the bootstrap script
> > lately?
> >
> > I'm a newbie to automake/autoconf, so I'm having some trouble
> > debugging this myself.
> >
> > My configuration:
> > Debian unstable/i386:
> > automake v1.4-p6
> > autoconf v2.59
> >

> > For the interested:
> >  I'm working on a patch-set for the erc32 and Leon processors which I
> >  want to apply against RTEMS-current when finished.
>
> The automake version in particular looks very old.
Very old is true understatement:

Ancient, outdated, obsolete for several years - consider all packages
still using it as broken - matches better

>  You want something
> much newer like a 1.8 or 1.9 series.
You need automake-1.9 with the patch Joel meanwhile should have made
available on ftp.rtems.org

 ... he hasn't ... grumble ...

~~~~~>

Meanwhile you can d/l it from PR 546 in RTEMS Gnats

> You shuold also start with a newer set of binutils, newlib, gcc and
> patches.  There has been some cleanup which necessitates working with
> newer tools.
For the sparc you'll want GCC-4.0 - All gcc-3.3.x, gcc-3.4.x series
sparc-rtems-gcc's are known to be broken, Joel's gcc-3.2.x could be
usable, but I haven't tried it with RTEMS-CVS for a very long time.

Ralf