Analog driver?

Aaron J. Grier aaron at frye.com
Mon Mar 7 19:36:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 06:18:47AM -0600, Joel Sherrill <joel at OARcorp.com> wrote:
> I do not really know how to effectively access this type of device
> [analog driver] through the standard read/write model.

what kind of analog devices are we talking about?  ADC/DAC?

it seems like the simplest appproach would be to read() or write()
either a single sample (for slow devices) or a block of samples.  any
prescalers or attenuators, muxes, etc, could be controlled via ioctl()s.

I can send device driver docs on the driver I wrote for our in-house
audio hardware to anyone who's curious.  in retrospect it would've been
smarter to implement an existing API like NetBSD's audio(4) interface or
maybe ALSA or OSS and I may still do that...

  Aaron J. Grier  |   Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR   |  aaron at frye.com