CPU register extensions, was: Re: Multilib swamp

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
Wed Mar 2 18:11:16 UTC 2005

Hi all,

> Brings me right back to the question I asked originally - how could we
> best add hooks for
> altivec register context switching [ without introducing an ugly #ifdef
> __PPC__ into cpukit]?
>
> Ideas?

Just to throw a similar topic: the ColdFire architecture now has
an optional "eMAC" unit for filtering instructions, which also
involves an additional set of processor registers. This is quite
a similar case as the AltiVec unit in PPC.

currently RTEMS can only distinguish between task with and
without floating point (and FP registers). Wouldn't it be nice
to expand this "one bit" decision to a multi bit decision for
"CPU Expansion Units"? Would it be possible to move context
switching code for these registers somehow into something
similar to a RTEMS user extension?

wkr,
Thomas.