PCI API

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Thu Mar 3 11:35:13 UTC 2005

On Mar 2, 2005, at 8:58 PM, Till Straumann wrote:

> I don't think 'hot adding' is needed or in any way easy to do. AFAIK
> you rely on MOTLoad [or whatever it's called]
> to perform the PCI configuration and the firmware is not going to
> support any 'hot adding' [hot == while system
> is powered-on / running].

Considering how the cards mount on the VME card, hot adding is
definitely an intellectual exercise only in relation to the MVME5500.

> OTOH, if a DEC21150 is plugged into the [cold] system and powered up,
> MOTLoad will configure PCI
> and you'll end up with 4 segments in total, the 1GHz ending up on
> segment 3.

I don't think MOTLoad is that smart.  When I add a PMCSPAN (DEC21150)
with cards in it, MOTLoad displays the DEC21150 but doesn't show
anything about the devices on it, though it displays the devices on
BUS0 and BUS1. The manuals sure sound as if everything is hardwired in
place in the topology I showed in my ASCII art.  If there is a way to
set everything up with solder I wouldn't be surprised to find out that
is how it is configured.

If anyone adds a bridge device off the PMCSPAN they'll have to plan to
get the code in powerpc/shared working to setup the bridge and
downstream devices.

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.