RTEMS and libc support

Tue May 17 14:24:38 UTC 2005

Luís Henriques wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to understand how RTEMS supports libc.  It seems that
> the support to the stdin, stdout and stderr file descriptors is tightly
> implemented in the RTEMS source tree.
>
> Is there a way to create an application that does not use libc support
> code provided with RTEMS?  I do not want my application to link with
> object files such as open, close, write, etc.  Is it possible to remove
> these dependencies?

Without modifying any standard BSP support code in RTEMS, I would
probably start by overriding a few key routines that the BSP calls
to initialize the C library.

See libbsp/shared/bsp_postdriver_hook and libbsp/shared/bsplibc.c.
I think that if you provide an empty bsp_postdriver_hook function,
you will avoid stdin, etc..

bsplibc.c is where some more stuff gets initialized that you might
be interested in disabling.

Once we are sure what the set of functions involved is, we can
try to figure out how to do it more generally.