please some newbie help with rtems

Wed May 18 22:07:13 UTC 2005

Dara wrote:
> Hello!
> I have installed RTEMS (rtems-ss-20030703) as it was described in
> pdf/FAQ.pdf, doing following commands on redhat fedora-3 system:
>
> $ tar -xjvf rtems-ss-20030703.tar.bz2 -C /tmp
> $ mkdir ~/rtems.build && cd ~/rtems.build
> $ /tmp/rtems-ss-20030703/configure --prefix=/opt/rtems && make && make install
>
> everything goes ok.
> But I can't understand, how can I boot into RTEMS. Since no kernel
> patching, kernel compiling or anything else happen.
> Can you point me to approritate docs or say what i should do next?

RTEMS is an embedded real-time OS.  It would be run instead of GNU/Linux
for certain types of applications.  You link your application with RTEMS
and run it directly on target hardware.

RTEMS includes "board support packages" for some simulators
included in gdb -- PowerPC, MIPS, and SPARC.

You can also run it in a virtualized PC environment like Bochs or
Qemu.

Also you should be using a released version like 4.6.2.