How to mask IRQ

leonp at plris.com leonp at plris.com
Mon May 30 08:11:47 UTC 2005

On Monday, 30 בMay 2005 08:54, Thomas Doerfler wrote:
> Hello Leon,
>
> you are right, the general SIU interrupt dispatcher will restore the SIU
> mask register after the IRQ function returns. This is a general problem
> with the MPC8xx Interrupt Controller, you will find this behaviour in
> various operating systems. The SIU Mask Register actually belongs to the
> interrupt dispatcher and not to the specific interrupt handlers.
>
> Maybe it would be possible to introduce another "handler mask" variable,
> which would be applied to the mask value written to the SIU mask
> register in the dispatcher code? So the mask value would consist of the
> "standard" value given in the standard table (I think) plus the value in
> the mask variable (whatever operation is needed to "add" these two
> masks). And there could be a well-defined API extension to set/clear
> bits in this additional variable.
Thanks, Thomas - this is exactly what I was thinking about.
I just was worried about the possible problems connected to the nested
interrupts.
As it is very difficult to test such a coincidences, I wanted to discuss the
idea itself and possible implementations on the list.

My first Idea was to provide some return value from the user ISR handler. This
value (if not zero) designates the "new", "append" mask bits that need to be
added.
As I was able to understand, the best place to do this is to adjust the oldMak
value before it is used to restore the ppc_cached_irq_mask.

As both the SIMASK in SIU and CIMR in CPM have the 31-st bit unused, it may be
used to designate the desired type (mask/unmask) of operation.

Please, comment.

--
Dr.Leon M.Pollak
Director