PCI caching question related to mvme5500

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Tue Nov 1 12:56:02 UTC 2005

On Nov 1, 2005, at 7:38 AM, Kate Feng wrote:

>> Much later when porting to vxWorks and again having it slow I
>> realized that the board does not properly say that its memory is pre-
>> fetchable.
>>

> Who was slow ? RTEMS or vxWorks ?

Both were.  I didn't have the PCI background to realize something was
fishy when bringing up RTEMS - when the board doesn't claim to be pre-
fetchable there isn't a reason to cache it.  Only when vxWorks was
also slow did I get suspicious and looked into it further.

I'm hoping someone who knows the RTEMS PCI will tell me where to
properly hack in obtaining a cached address for a board broken in
such a manner.  I have to get a new system up and running, this time
with Solaris-10 on an Opteron, and I want to be sure to get any
changes into the RTEMS bug data base.  I won't have much time to
spend until things are up and running, so I'm turning to the list to
see if I can improve what I did before and get something into the
database.

Peter