PCI caching question related to mvme5500

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Tue Nov 1 17:04:42 UTC 2005

On Nov 1, 2005, at 11:29 AM, gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov wrote:

> OTOH, maybe the board has an internal buffer that it fills w/ data and
> making that part cacheable might expedite copying it off the
> board.  But
> I think the OP would be better served by using DMA- my impression
> being
> its plain PIO right now, which can cut throughput on the PCI bus by a
> factor of 6.

The board has a double-buffered region mapped onto the bus.  When the
data is ready I invalidate the cache every cache line and then memcpy
the data off.  Without reading through a cached region the CPU won't
prefetch and the throughput is terrible.  With it you should be able
to run at PCI memory speed.

There are many situations, e.g. small frame sizes as in this case,
where I'd rather have prefetch (and posted writes for output) than DMA.

Peter