Bad volatile -mstrict-align code on powerpc on 4.0.2?

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Fri Nov 4 15:04:36 UTC 2005

Can someone sanity check this and verify that I'm not doing anything
stupid?  This is gcc 4.0.2 compiled on solaris 10.  It is generating
wacky code with -mstrict-align unless I'm doing something dumb.  In
the following script it is generating reasonable code without -
mstrict-align, when I turn on -mstrict-align it is amoungst other
things reading back from the volatile register before writing to it.
Is there another attribute I'm supposed to use?

Peter