what happened to -g (4.7)

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Nov 17 12:46:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 19:34 -0800, Till Straumann wrote:
> RTEMS used to be built with debugging sections (-g)
> -- after my last CVS update this is no longer true.
Yes, what you currently see is me gradually cleaning up
configure-scripts and gradually removing historic artifacts having
remained from RTEMS's makefile fragment-based configuration.

Though "-g" having gone list is an accident, this all currently is WIP,
and with me not yet being sure were we will end up. At least, dropping
it entirely and permanently (i.e. require users to explicitly specify
it) would be a much cleaner and simpler approach than what we currently
use.

> What do I have to do to get -g back?
ATM, try CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET or adding -g to CFLAGS_OPTIMIZE_V.

> Can't it be enabled by default (even if fully optimized)?
> If no - at least in maintainer mode?
maintainer-mode has nothing to do with CFLAGS.

maintainer-mode is addressing disabling/enabling generation of generated
code (Makefile.ins, aclocal.m4, configure, preinstall.am, rpcgen
generated code).

Ralf