Cogent 637 board

Jiri Gaisler jiri at gaisler.com
Thu Nov 17 15:06:50 UTC 2005

I had a new look at this issue, and enabled the
ARM patches also for the SPARC port. I could
run without ipalign in the network driver (after
also fixing ip_checksum_hdr).

However, performance dropped from about 30 Mbit/s
to ~ 20 Mbit/s for my specific driver. Running
hardware profiling (possible on the LEON3 cpu),
I could see where the cpu spend the time:

With ARM patches
================

function                                              samples     ratio(%)
_CPU_Thread_Idle_body                                     703      40.77
memcpy                                                    443      25.69
in_cksum                                                  119       6.90
tcp_input                                                  36       2.08
_Workspace_Handler_initialization                          29       1.68
syscall                                                    29       1.68
c_rtems_main                                               25       1.45
_Thread_Dispatch                                           24       1.39
memset                                                     20       1.16
ip_input                                                   19       1.10
_ISR_Handler                                               16       0.92

With ipalign in the driver
==========================

function                                              samples     ratio(%)
_CPU_Thread_Idle_body                                     656      44.68
ipalign                                                   198      13.48
memcpy                                                    158      10.76
in_cksum                                                  121       8.24
tcp_input                                                  34       2.31
_Workspace_Handler_initialization                          29       1.97
soreceive                                                  22       1.49
memset                                                     20       1.36
c_rtems_main                                               19       1.29
ip_input                                                   18       1.22
syscall                                                    18       1.22
_ISR_Handler                                               14       0.95

The cpu is loaded to the same degree in both cases (~ 60%),
but the time is memcpy doubled when using the ARM patches.
The reason for this is that doing ipalign in the driver
aligns the packet on a word address, and memcpy can use
32-bit accesses to move the packets in the stack. Without
ipalign, memcpy resorts to byte-wise copying (!). The
memcpy implementation in newlib is thus not very efficient,
at least not for the SPARC port. Implementating a
modified memcpy that would use 16-bit transfers for
16-bit aligned data resulted in 30 Mbit/s performance again.

The question is what to do next. The ARM patches could be
modified so that they could be enabled by all targets that
need it, but that would require a better memcpy implementation
in newlib. Or to stick with the ipalign in the driver and
live with the cpu overhead. Comments anyone ...?

Jiri.