RTEMS 4.6.5 available

Fri Oct 7 14:17:25 UTC 2005

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 18:26 -0500, Joel Sherrill  wrote:
>
>>It's that time again.  The list of fixes committed to the
>>4.6 branch reached a level that makes a new release a good
>>idea. The time since 4.6.4 has been busier than the number of
>>PRs addressed indicates.  There was only one bug fix for RTEMS
>>proper and one for the missing patch to the shared console
>>driver code.  But more important, were the PRs that reflect
>>significant improvements to BSPs.  The PowerPC MBX8xx BSPs
>>and the SPARC BSPs have had a significant refresh.
>>
>>It can be downloaded from
>>
>>ftp://ftp.rtems.com/pub/rtems/4.6.4
>

> 4.6.4 or 4.6.5?
>
>>I do not consider the 4.6 branch dead even with this release.
>
> I beg to differ ... I do!
>
> 4.6.x is outdated and in "bug fix" only mode.

I agree completely.  No functional or API changes go into 4.6 -- only
bug fixes.  I just meant that I would not be surprised if in a few
months, there are enough bug fixes to justify another release from
the branch.

 >  It lacks all the years (!)
> of progress on the configuration and toolchain side. You won't even be
> able to build 4.6.x with modern toolchains.

Yes and I would like to get a 4.7 release branch started soon based upon
gcc 4.x.  At the moment, I think the following issues need to be
addressed before branching 4.7:

   + pc386 ticker.exe does not work with gcc 4.x
   + Till filed a handful of PRs this week that need to be looked at

> Any new development at least by me, will take place on cvs trunk /
> rtems-4.7, only.

Any real development by me also occurs there as well.  For example,
I plan to do Doxygen on the score until I pass out on the plane today.
That would not go into 4.6 at all.

This is my last email.  I look forward to seeing you next week.

--joel