Adding new BSP's

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Fri Oct 14 02:31:32 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 11:23 +1000, Corey Schuhen wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am in the process of trying to create a BSP for a MCF548x/MCF547x module
> sold by phytec (1). I started by duplicating the libbsp and libcpu MCF5206*
> directories, .cfg along with changes to various Makefile.* files. So far I
> have interrupt-driven serial and the clock timer working. Both the Hello and
> Ticker sample applications seem to work.
>
> What is the procedure for supplying my mods back to the project?
There are many ways to do so - In a nutshell it's: Submit your work to
the public and notify one of the RTEMS maintainers about it.

I recommend submitting it as patches to RTEMS GNATS.

> Should I be creating a patch or requesting CVS access?
Only very few "trusted" people have CVS write access (maintainers).
So the "natural" way would be you to package up your work into smaller
pieces, such as patches or (small) tarballs and to publish them.

> Which branch(s) am I best to work with?
New developments should go to rtems-4.7 (currently CVS-trunk).

rtems-4.6-branch is in "bugfix-only" freeze and not actively developed,
anymore.

>  Currently I am working off the 4.6.4 release from tarballs.
No problem at all. The diffs between the code base of 4.6.x and 4.7 are
fairly small, so porting it from "4.6" to "4.7" should not be much of a
problem.

However for active development, I'd recommend you to work off a
checked-out copy of rtems-4-6-branch of RTEMS CVS instead of working off
from release tarballs.

Ralf