RFC: Remove BSP_Configuration

Fri Oct 21 13:38:03 UTC 2005

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 11:52 -0500, Joel Sherrill  wrote:
>
>>Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>>Have a look into c/src/lib/libbsp/sh/gensh1/startup/bspstart.c
>>>and you'll see that we use it -- we even use CPU_Table.
>>
>>We are missing each other today. :)
>>
>>Yes you are using the BSP_Configuration structure.  But with no magic
>>switch between multiple configurations that I see.  As long as
>>Configuration (or rtems_configuration) ends up initialized and in RAM,
>>it still works.
>
> We are treating Configuration as static, r/o, non-volatile initial
> configuration but are treating BSP_Configuration as a dynamic, r/w, and
> volatile run-time configuration.
>
> What you don't see is what applications do with BSP_Configuration!

That I can't see so maybe the name should rename BSP_Configuration.

>>Yes I will end up mechanically having to edit every BSP which references
>>BSP_Configuration to use the new name.
>

> Which? Are you serious in wanting to call it "Configuration"?
> Pardon, but this would be a bad choice!

confdefs.h generates a "constant" table which is called Configuration
and has done so for a long time.

The copy from Configuration (generated by confdefs.h) to
BSP_Configuration is a hack which is equivalent to the procedure used to
load the initial values into the .data section variables.  It was
initially added so programs loaded into RAM could be re-executed but it
is a partial solution since it only reloads one structure.

The initialization procedure does this:

   + (start.S) copy "shadow" copy of .data section initial values into
     the .data section in RAM since .data is by definition initialized
     but writable.  This should load the values in Configuration and
     BSP_Configuration.
   + (bootcard.c) copy Configuration to BSP_Configuration
   + ... modify BSP_Configuration as needed
   + (exinit.c) pass pointer into RTEMS.

As a potentially less intrusive change, I think the table generated by
confdefs.h should be named BSP_Configuration and we should assume the
BSP does the right thing with respect to the initial values for the
.data section variables.  This would eliminate the variable Configuration.

Second, RTEMS should be able to assume the name of the configuration
table and just use a hard-coded variable name rather than having an
extra pointer variable.  This would eliminate some variables inside
RTEMS proper and likekly result in simpler code generated.

I think what is being missed is that "BSP_Configuration = Configuration"
is a hack which is a poor substitute of loading the initial values for
the .data section since it only covers one structure.