deriving BSP from powerpc/shared

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 17 02:20:18 UTC 2005

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 14:57 -0700, Till Straumann wrote:
>
>>I have problems with creating a new BSP that inherits from powerpc/shared.
>>
>>In the usual way, the BSP inherits from the shared area by using VPATH
>>and overrides specific files by providing its own version which is found
>>first on VPATH.
>
> Sorry, I have to disagree: "VPATH is evil", and relying on VPATHS is
> "bad, bad, bad design".

I agree (also with your statement further down about libraries + APIs) -
but it's just the way it is right now...

>>This works fine  for C files but the semantics for headers are different:
>>The Makefile.ams in the shared area actually cause some of the shared
>>headers to be installed --> during the 'preinstall' step, the 'shared'
>>headers are installed and *not* the BSP specific ones.
>
> I don't understand, what you are referring to.

Never mind - I found what I was looking for
[libbsp/powerpc/configure.ac:
  AM_CONDITIONAL(need_shared, test "$RTEMS_BSP_FAMILY" =
"motorola_powerpc")]

unless the RTEMS_BSP_FAMILY is listed here, the build process
doesn't descend into the shared subdirs...

T.