PR469 IDE problem, was: Re: Any New 4.6.4 Issues

Thomas Doerfler (nt) Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
Fri Sep 16 06:42:00 UTC 2005

Hello Ralf, and good morning,

Ralf Corsepius schrieb:
> On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 07:12 +0200, Thomas Doerfler (nt) wrote:
>>Ralf, I would assume that there is a better way to set these options,
>>e.g. when "configure" is given. I added definitions for these options in
>>the bsp's "configure.ac" file, so I assume there is a predefined way to
>>modify these options....
>
> I don't understand.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's what I have feared... It is still early morning here (at least
for me) and therefore I think I should go more into details.

Preface: I still have only a slight clue what autoconf/automake is
doing. Although my inpression is, whatever it is doing it does perfectly
well and configuring/building RTEMS without it would be VERY diffcult.

When I added the two configuration options yesterday for the PC386 BSP,
I have done the following:

1. I added two "#if IDE_USE_PRIMARY/SECONDARY_INTERFACE" sections to

"c/src/lib/libbsp/i386/pc386/ide/idecfg.c"

so now optionally the configuration structure(s) for a primary and/or
secondary IDE interface can be enabled and disabled.

2. I have added some lines to "c/src/lib/libbsp/i386/pc386/configure.ac"

- -------snip
RTEMS_BSPOPTS_SET([IDE_USE_PRIMARY_INTERFACE],[*],[1])
RTEMS_BSPOPTS_HELP([IDE_USE_PRIMARY_INTERFACE],
[Determines, whether RTEMS will try to use the primary IDE interface.
 Disable it, if:
 - you have no primary IDE interface
 - or you have no disk attached to this interface
 - or you do not want to access disks attached to this interface])

RTEMS_BSPOPTS_SET([IDE_USE_SECONDARY_INTERFACE],[*],[0])
RTEMS_BSPOPTS_HELP([IDE_USE_SECONDARY_INTERFACE],
[Determines, whether RTEMS will try to use the primary IDE interface.
 Enable it, if:
 - you have a secondary IDE interface
 - and you have at least one disk attached to this interface
 - and you do want to access disks attached to this interface])
- -------snip

3. Now I assume, that a "bootstrap" will generated/update the
i386/pc386/include/bspopts.h.in and adds two "#undefs" for the new
options (I could very this)

4. Now the foggy stuff starts for me: The next steps for using RTEMS
with this BSP are to configure a build tree and to perform a make there.
 I do it with something like:
$> mkdir build-rtems-4.6.99.2-i386
$> cd build-rtems-4.6.99.2-i386
$> ../rtems-4.6.99.2/configure --enable-rtemsbsp=pc386 \
- --target=i386-rtems4.7 --prefix=/opt/rtems/4.6.99.2    \
- --exec-prefix=/opt/rtems/4.6.99.2
$> make all

During these steps, the file
build-rtems-4.6.99.2-i386/i386-rtems4.7/c/pc386/lib/libbsp/i386/pc386/include/bspopts.h

is created, and it will contain the defaut setting for the new options,
as defined in the pc386/configure.ac file:

#define IDE_USE_PRIMARY_INTERFACE 1
#define IDE_USE_SECONDARY_INTERFACE 0

AND NOW MY QUESTION COMES UP:

My assumption is, that somewhere on the _command_lines_ for configure or
make I could specify, that these options should be set differently, e.g.
that configure and/or make will generate a different bspopts.h with
settings other than the default settings specified in "configure.ac". If
this is not possible, what would be the reason to put these options into
"configure.ac" and not directly into "bspopts.h.in"?

E.g. Angelo's hardware will require these settings:

#define IDE_USE_PRIMARY_INTERFACE 0
#define IDE_USE_SECONDARY_INTERFACE 1

Ralf, I hope I could clarify my question to you. If I am still totally
on the wrong track, maybe a direct phone call could make this discussion
easier.

wkr,
Thomas.

> Ralf