Call for SPARCengine 1e BSP

Ivan Galkin Ivan_Galkin at uml.edu
Thu Sep 8 12:58:18 UTC 2005

Joel, thanks for reply and suggestions. Here's some answers:

NetBSD:
SPARCstation 1 (sun4c model) is the closest analog, but not the same.
SPARCengine 1e is called "SPARCstation 1 in VME". It is however a sun4e
model, not sun4c.
We tried to use NetBSD bootloader on our Force CPU-1CE board, it starts
up, works with the console on port A, but does not load secondary
images. I posted to NetBSD/sparc-port, but noone was familiar with the
4e board.

Force documentation:
Can be found here:  http://car.uml.edu/misc/sparc-1e/
It is actually pretty good.

OBJCOPY:
Does not work with RTEMS ELFs, complains about incompatible sections in
the ELF (many sections, actually).
But we found a combination of gcc options that make good a.out-sunos-big
executables that we can actually run on our 4e board:

sparc-rtems-gcc -c -Wall -mcpu=v7 -fno-ident -e -0x4000
sparc-rtems-ld -s -N -e 0x4000 --oformat a.out-sunos-big

(this uses separate compiling and linking).
We also tried the following to rebuild RTEMS kernel for sun4e:

sparc-rtems-gcc -Wl,--oformat,a.out-sunos-big

but this did not work out, as all libraries are in ELF as well, and we
observed certain hiccups... at some point we gave up.

VME:
I think vme support is available from the Sun in their original sun4e
libraries... if only I could find those... I only have include files. We
don't need anything sophisticated... read-writes, no interrupts needed.

BTW, a Force cpu-2ce board is on ebay today for $25.

Thanks again,
Ivan