Call for SPARCengine 1e BSP

Thu Sep 8 18:24:44 UTC 2005

Ivan Galkin wrote:

> Regarding MVME167 as a better match for our long-suffering sun4e sparc -
> I agree.
>
> However, we have been playing with an Intel Rtems target for some months
> already, for a different project. Building a host bsp environment #3 for
> motorola... our setup today is confusing enough, and we really don't
> know how steep the Power PC curve is going to be.

If you don't know the PowerPC and have to debug in detail, it is a
bit to learn.

> RTEMS support of VME in motorolas is a strong point, though.
>
> As for the second-hand boards, our hard-earned experience tells us not
> to get on that route without documentation and a ready to use BSP. It
> took us a couple of  months and triple the cost of the board to get docs
> for our sparcengine 1e.

Motorola seems to be quite good about having their documentation
available on-line.  You should be able to download mvme167 documentation
right now easily.

OTOH any board with a Marvell part is IMO underdocumented.  They have a
policy that requires an NDA before documentation can be received.  And
this is for parts that appear on common VMEBus boards including a few
Motorola ones.

--joel