PR649, was Re: PR469 IDE problem, was: Re: Any New 4.6.4 Issues

Thomas Doerfler (nt) Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
Mon Sep 19 13:23:20 UTC 2005

Joel,

Joel Sherrill <joel at OARcorp.com> schrieb:

>> Too much driving this weekend lead me to a slightly modified way of
>> turning on and off the two IDE interfaces.
>
>> Some BSPs have variables in the linkcmds which can be overridden at link
>> time.  It is often used for setting RamSize.  Would this be a good
>> candidate for this technique?

Hm, Joel, I don't think so. Reasons:

1. The preprocessor #define I have introduced modifies the content and
the size of a IDE configuration data structure at compile time. With
your trick I can only think of a solution that would modify the
structure at runtime, which is a bit more complicated.

2. Ralf already objected to the idea to have a different BSP for
Angelo's PC104 board only because it has a different IDE configuration,
and I fully agree with him.

3. Maybe this configuration item will propagate the possibility of
configure time options a bit more, I think it is quite an elegant way to
handle options for the RTEMS build process, and at least for me it was new.

I think specifying a special IDE configuration during the "configure"
run is quite an elegant way to overcome this problem. Each user still
has the possibilitiy to supply a user-defined "ide_cfg.c" file with a
special configuration, which is quite similar to your proposal (in this
case, a BSP library module "ide_cfg.o" will be overridden from a user
supplied object module), but in most cases the standard ide_cfg.c will do.

What do you (and all the other users) think?

wkr,
Thomas.

>> --joel
>

> --
> IMD Ingenieurbuero fuer Microcomputertechnik
> Thomas Doerfler           Herbststrasse 8
> D-82178 Puchheim          Germany
> email:    Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
> PGP public key available at:
>      http://www.imd-systems.de/pgpkey_en.html