RES: CPU Supplement Reorg Proposal

Fabrício de Novaes Kucinskis fabricio at dea.inpe.br
Tue Aug 22 11:30:54 UTC 2006

[From Paul:]
>> Since no one else is commenting I will.

I've already commented, but in the thread that originated this discussion.
As many of the interested people had not read, I'm "re-commenting" here ;)

[From Joel:]
>> So I am proposing that this information [sizing and timing information]
be eliminated from the supplements.
>> Along with this I am proposing that the remaining information in the
supplements be merged into a single
>>  document with one chapter per architecture supported.

I agree that it's better to have just one CPU Supplement document. But the
size info is important and must be kept. However, I think that in most cases
there's no need of knowing the exact size of an application. As it is
difficult to maintain this info updated, I suggest a table with the size of
a typical HelloWorld example compiled for each BSP, instead of the current
list with the size of each manager, which doesn't reflect the size of a
RTEMS application.

The size of the HelloWorld will not change so much between versions, and a
warning explaining that "the sizes listed here is just an example, and can
vary a little" can help.

Regards,

Fabrício.