Problem report: Struct aliasing problem causes Thread_Ready_Chain corruption in 4.6.99.3

Steven Johnson sjohnson at sakuraindustries.com
Wed Dec 6 22:54:06 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I have been quietly following this thread, but I find the whole
-fstrict-aliasing/-fnostrict-aliasing issue to be very disturbing.
Luckily my program isn't built with -O2 or I probably would have been
tracking untold numbers of strange bugs in known working code.  For the
C language to change so that a pointer (regardless of the pointer type
used to reference that memory) no longer points to a known piece of
memory, in a predictable way is whacked.

I for one do not look forward to adding __attribute__ ((may_alias)) to
the hundreds of places where I change the way I address memory using
pointers.  It is a monumental waste of time, prone to error and in my
opinion putting in declarations to fix a broken compiler optimisation.
When a compiler optimisation breaks a fundamental aspect of C that has
existed since the beginnings of the language, then I consider that
optimisation to be broken, and not the code itself.  I will be adding
-fno-strict-aliasing to all of my builds in future, and I will be making
sure RTEMS (and all of the other Open Source libraries I use) builds
with -fno-strict-aliasing, regardless of what is ultimately decided
here),  I just don't want the headache.  In my opinion you wouldn't be
fixing RTEMS by adding these declarations or changing the code, you
would be working around a broken compiler.  The other OS's that use
-fno-strict-aliasing are (in my opinion) doing the right thing.  I also
fail to see how the option could yield any tangible benefits on
performance that would warrant the pain and difficulty it causes.

But that is my 2c.

Linus Torvalds when discussing this issue regarding the Linux Kernel said:
> Why do you think the kernel uses "-fno-strict-aliasing"?
>
> The gcc people are more interested in trying to find out what can be
> allowed by the c99 specs than about making things actually _work_. The
> aliasing code in particular is not even worth enabling, it's just not
> possible to sanely tell gcc when some things can alias.
I am not suggesting Linux is the authority on this sort of thing or that
his arguments/views are necessarily valid in this context (he gets it
wrong on average about as much as everyone else does), I do however
agree with his sentiment here.

The full post is at: http://lkml.org/lkml/2003/2/26/158

Steven J