Xilinx IP core drivers for RTEMS- diff attached

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Thu Dec 14 19:28:54 UTC 2006

Argh!  My memory fails me again!  Going back and looking at the
plb_temac XPS IP, I noticed it does support a FIFO mode without DMA.
What was blurring my memory is that you must decide when you generate
the FPGA configuration if you want to use FIFO mode or SGDMA mode; once
that decision has been made, you must stick with it.  My memory,
however, erroneously informed me that plb_temac only supports SGDMA.
Turns out there is a middle ground between the previous two options I
outlined, which is the FIFO mode (with or without interrupts), which
uses much more reasonable FPGA resources; again on the ml403's V4FX12,
it uses about 14% of slice FF, 24% of slices, and 17% of the 4-input LUT.

Given these number, I would like to suggest going with the
plb_temac/hard_temac combo, in interrupt-driven FIFO mode.  There are
basically three reasons why I now endorse this candidate:

   1. Fully supported by XPS, meaning you can XPS to manage your
      project; if you have the latest service pack for EDK, you can even
      use the Base System Builder (BSB) to get you started.
   2. The corollary to 1 is that you don't have to use ISE and deal with
      all the details that entails, which would be rather daunting to
      software-only folks.
   3. It offers a reasonable level of performance without incurring the
      complexity of scatter-gather DMA.

Just my updated $0.02, adjusted for memory lapse-induced inflation.
-Bob