Tool Installation for 4.7?

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Thu Dec 21 13:56:28 UTC 2006

Chris Johns wrote:
> The compiler does run faster how-ever when using autotools as a build
> system the number of shell related calls is the main bottle neck and
> over shadows the compiler performance gain. The comment is related to
> your application rather than building RTEMS. We hope you build your
> application more than you need to build RTEMS.
I would hope so too! :-P

>>  However, when it came time to building RTEMS, it failed on the
>> command "sh make all install", claiming (rightfully?) that "make is a
>> directory".
>
> Is this with the MSYS shell or Cygwin shell ? The Wiki documents using
> the Windows cmd prompt and MSYS sh using the installed batch file. You
> cannot have a Cygwin path in the PATH environment variable at the same
> time. This is why the installer makes specific batch files for each
> target.
Hmmm... No, it was in the MSYS command window.  I had assumed that was
the point of installing MSYS.  I certainly did not realize I was to
Windows command prompt.

>>  I attempted to specify the full filename for make but got a
>> "can't execute binary file" (working uncertain) message.
>
> What path was this ?
I'm not sure, but I think I tried both /bin/make ("which make" reported
"/bin/make"), as well as other varieties.

>>  Anyway, given
>> the Xilinx setup, I decided to stick with Cygwin at that point, rather
>> than muddle about further...
>
> Do you have the Xilinx Cygwin in a global Windows path ?
Probably.

> Regards
> Chris
Frankly, as I said earlier, I'm going to stick with Cygwin for the time
being.  I was able to get the tools compiled and working, so I'm happy
now.  This is not meant to imply any condemnation of the MingW tools; in
fact, I'm going to use them on my other system for getting RTEMS up and
running on my NetBurner MOD5282 system, if I ever get the time!!!
Thanks, Chris!

Take care,
-Bob