Tool Installation for 4.7?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Dec 21 22:25:17 UTC 2006

Robert S. Grimes wrote:

> Chris Johns wrote:
>> Is this with the MSYS shell or Cygwin shell ? The Wiki documents using
>> the Windows cmd prompt and MSYS sh using the installed batch file. You
>> cannot have a Cygwin path in the PATH environment variable at the same
>> time. This is why the installer makes specific batch files for each
>> target.
> Hmmm... No, it was in the MSYS command window.  I had assumed that was
> the point of installing MSYS.  I certainly did not realize I was to
> Windows command prompt.

The Wiki documentation is directed at a Windows users with little or no
Unix shell experience. It allows someone who only knows the Windows cmd
prompt a way to get going. I will update the documentation to point this
out.

I think all you may need to do is not add the sh at the start but I am
not sure.

>>>  I attempted to specify the full filename for make but got a
>>> "can't execute binary file" (working uncertain) message.
>> What path was this ?
> I'm not sure, but I think I tried both /bin/make ("which make" reported
> "/bin/make"), as well as other varieties.

Hmm, that should be ok. If you run in the MSYS shell you would not need
the extra sh at the start.

> Frankly, as I said earlier, I'm going to stick with Cygwin for the time
> being.  I was able to get the tools compiled and working, so I'm happy
> now.

This sounds fine. If you know the issues with having Cygwin and MSYS
installed together you should be fine.

>  This is not meant to imply any condemnation of the MingW tools; in
> fact, I'm going to use them on my other system for getting RTEMS up and
> running on my NetBurner MOD5282 system, if I ever get the time!!!

None was taken; I use Unix for my RTEMS development work. It is nice to
see you using the provided tools.

Regards
Chris