Problem report: Struct aliasing problem causes Thread_Ready_Chain corruption in 4.6.99.3

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Wed Dec 6 22:59:07 UTC 2006

I agree with Linus' sentiment, too. The problem, however,
is (repeating mantra) that this is not just some weirdo
gcc optimization that can be switched off. It is the C99 *standard*.
Even if you can switch this off for gcc today, there is no
guarantee that you will be able to in the future or on other
compilers. If we want to produce C99 compliant code then
we must comply with the alias rule. period.

-- Till