RFH: aliasing problems

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Wed Dec 13 10:00:13 UTC 2006

Sergei Organov schrieb:

> Yeah, you are right, -- I just forgot about that. Though it still
> won't make the code C99-compliant, it is probably a better idea than
> turning off strict-aliasing altogether. However, provided GCC warnings
> are unreliable, we may still miss some important places :(
>
> Anyway, it's definitely much better idea than putting random pointer
> conversions into the source to silence compiler warnings ;)

YES. When we want to clean up the code, it can't be right to push the
dirty tricks around long enough until we find a corner the current
compiler does not inspect. Which place would be nice? Below the sofa?
under the carpet? Behind the door? No this won't work. Ah, look, let's
hide it behind a (void *) cast. Urgh. This is ugly. :-)

For all: no offense meant.

Thomas.