_Region_Get and strict aliasing

Steven Johnson sjohnson at sakuraindustries.com
Wed Dec 20 05:19:42 UTC 2006

Well in that case, isn't the following in RTEMS broken RE strict
aliasing (Which the _Region_Get code pointed me to):

chain.h states:

/**
 *  @struct Chain_Node_struct
 *
 *  This is used to manage each element (node) which is placed
 *  on a chain.
 *
 *  @note Typically, a more complicated structure will use the
 *        chain package.  The more complicated structure will
 *        include a chain node as the first element in its
 *        control structure.  It will then call the chain package
 *        with a pointer to that node element.  The node pointer
 *        and the higher level structure start at the same address
 *        so the user can cast the pointers back and forth.
 *
 */
struct Chain_Node_struct {
  /** This points to the node after to this one on this chain. */
  Chain_Node *next;
  /** This points to the node immediate prior to this one on this chain. */
  Chain_Node *previous;
};

so the whole premise of the chain code is that a cast will be performed
from some "more complicated" structure, that starts with a Chain_Node
structure as its first element, down to a Chain_Node_Structure, so the
generic chain code can be used on it (as the chain code doesn't care
about what is held by the rest of the structure).

There are lots of these types of structures in the code, Region_Control
is one, and use of the Chain_Node fields in those structures by the
chain code (when it is cast as the generic type of Chain_Node) will be a
violation of this rule. No?

As in:

_Chain_Is_first

which dereferences a chain_node*, which is going to be pointing to an
effective type that is not a chain_node (as there are no pure Chain_Node
structures in use, that I can find, as they convey no information).  So
any use of (a lot of) the code in chain.inl will violate the strict
aliasing rules, because the whole purpose of this code is to dereference
type punned pointers?

Steven J

ode