Question about RTEMS Memory Management Capabilities

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Thu Dec 21 16:08:32 UTC 2006

Robert Deschambault wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are developing a boot prom for a space-based instrument controller based on a LEON 2 microprocessor (sparc 8 architecture).  One of the initialization tasks is to do a test of volatile memory to see if any of memory has been damaged.  I was curious to find out if RTEMS supports the concept of remapping the address space using an MMU if any of the memory cells have been damaged by radiation.

I don't think anything in RTEMS is of particular help or hindrance
here.  Assuming you turn on
memory mapping in the boot prom to be some type of 1 to 1 mapping, then
it is always on and
RTEMS doesn't know about it.  If your memory test detects bad memory
just have the boot ROM
set the memory map up to map that address range to somewhere else.