automatic NIC driver selection.

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 1 04:42:52 UTC 2006

I've done that, too, but I found it less flexible
(e.g., the mvme5500 and mvme6100 have two interfaces. I want
RTEMS to use the first one with an active link, not
just the first successfully probed card).

Also, you'd have to replicate the address parameters
on all those structures if BOOTP is not used.

Furthermore, with my BSPs, I use yet another hack
to cook up part of the network configuration
from NVRAM and/or a commandline that is passed in
by a bootloader.

This code would then have to know which driver was selected.

Here's what my hacks do in summary:

   1) several parameters (e.g., boot file, IP address, ...)
      are extracted from NVRAM and command line and filled
      into the network config. Interface parameters (IP address)
      go into the first non-loopback interface structure.
   2) network is started
   3) the aforementioned 'wrapper-attach-hack' routine selects
      a driver (based on PCI ids, probing, link status etc.)
   4) call driver's attach method
   5) special 'bootp_hook_hack' method in the network configuration
      does last tweaks before and after an (optional)
      BOOTP request. What exactly is done and if a BOOTP
      lookup is performed at all depends on the NVRAM
      and commandline parameter settings.

YMMV
-- Till