gettimeofday seconds rollover problem?

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Fri Feb 24 14:54:57 UTC 2006

Eric Norum wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2006, at 8:43 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
>> I agree with everything above.  I do not want to add unnecessary
>> register dependencies.
>> Plus this technique should be able to be added fairly mechanically
>> to the other ports.
>>
>> The next question is what other SuperCore variables need to be
>> volatile.  _Thread_Executing,
>> _Thread_Heir, and _Context_Switch_necessary seem very high on the  list.
>

> Yes, I think that these should also be volatile.  Their values can be
> changed by another thread so the compiler must be informed of this.
>

>> Eric.. will the EPICS team submit a fix for the m68k, i386, and
>> powerpc ports?  I can probably
>> do the others myself based upon those.
>

> I'll commit the changes for the m68k which I proposed in the bug
> tracker yesterday.
> Till, will you do the powerpc?
> I've not done much x86 assembly programming.   Anyone else like to
> take a crack at this one?

Please carefully commit these fixes to both the 4.6 branch and CVS
head.  Unfortunately, I think
this is important enough to justify it.  Make sure the ChangeLog entry
includes the PR and is properly
formatted.

Is anyone out there willing to volunteer for another port?  It is always
better to have someone
fresh on the CPU architecture doing this type of mod.

Thanks.

--joel