Interrupts Disabled After First Context Switch

Thu Jan 5 18:04:04 UTC 2006

Kirspel, Kevin {Engineering - Osmetech CCD} wrote:
> 1) Renesas SH-3 but it's pretty much the same as the SH-4.
>
> 2) the rtems_interrupt_disable() routine returns the value in the SR
> register of the sh-3/4.  The SR register contains a BL bit that masks
> interrupts.  It also contains an interrupt level mask that prevents any
> interrupt lower than the level in the SR register from executing.  The
> SH4 port sets the interrupt level to 15 to mask all interrupts (
> rtems_interrupt_disable ).  Upon the printf statement below, the
> interrupt level in the SR register is set to 15 masking all interrupts.
>
> 3)Yes.
>
> Case 1: using interrupt mask level 15 to disable interrupts. ( interrupt
> masks bits are bits 4-7 which is 0 before and F after).
> INT BEFORE: 0x40001000
> INT AFTER:  0x400011F1
>
> Case 2: using interrupt BL bit to disable interrupts. ( interrupt BL bit
> is bit 28 which is 0 before and 1 after).
> INT BEFORE: 0x40001000
> INT AFTER:  0x50001101

Is BL implicitly modified by an interrupt?  I don't know the SH well
enough to trace the code in my head but since you are doing a
delaying/blocking wake_after, there will be a context switch to IDLE,
then some clock tick ISRs, then a preempt of IDLE via the __ISR_Handler
routine in cpu_asm.c.  If the BL bit is not preserved across the (a)
context switch or (b) interrupt preemption, then it might be what you
are seeing.

I do not think it is (a) because that is a simple load/store of the sr.

The __ISR_Handler code is always tricky to get right but I don't see how
it could be messed up either.

To eliminate some possibilities and assuming this is a single task test,
change the wake after(100) to wake after(0).  And do not print until
after all of the interrupt level changes.  I suspect it is the interrupt
context switch somehow.  Just a guess.