Classic versus POSIX APIs

Fabrício de Novaes Kucinskis fabricio at dea.inpe.br
Fri Jan 6 17:36:42 UTC 2006

Hello,

I finished my studies of the RTEMS Classic API and now I'm starting to study
the POSIX API. My goal is to define one of these two APIs to use in our
applications - ITRON is out of the question.

Compatibility is not the issue for us at this moment; we are just looking
for what resources each API provides. So, I have three main questions
concerning the use of the POSIX API:

1) Is it very used? Who here uses the POSIX API? It appears to me that most
of the messages at the list involves the Classic API;

2) What is the advantages of POSIX API over the Classic? Just the managers
shown in the "New Chapters" document (Event Logging, Process Dump Control,
etc)? There are advantages of Classic API over the POSIX?

3) Can I use both APIs in one application? I mean, if I use the Classic API,
is it possible to use the Administration Interface Manager (just an
example)? I'm almost sure the answer is a capital NO. But if is a YES, what
are the issues on this?

Thanks in advance and a Happy New Year for everybody!

Fabrício de Novaes Kucinskis - DEA / INPE