PSIM/PowerPC related questions (G4/e500/AltiVec)

Karel Gardas kgardas at objectsecurity.com
Thu Jan 19 09:55:42 UTC 2006

Hello,

I've been recently looking into PSIM as a possibility to emulate PowerPC
system running RTEMS. To my surprise, this the oldest free emulator seems
to be quite capable. As is well known, PSIM emulates 603 and 604
processors. What surprised me a bit, is a presentation (in source code) of
also Altivec and e500 instruction set emulation. My question is: when
someone take 604 processor and adds Altivec emulation, is the final result
G4? If not, what's missing?

Thanks,
Karel
Karel Gardas                  kgardas at objectsecurity.com