NIC driver skeleton for study. (GXemul/PSIM)

Ian Caddy ianc at goanna.iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 20 01:14:48 UTC 2006

Hi Karel,

When we originally did our NIC driver, we referenced the RTEMS Network
Supplement written by Eric Norum, which was quite informative.  It
references the network driver in the Gen68360 BSP
(c/src/lib/libbsp/m68k/Gen68360/network/network.c) which is based on the
Motorola 68360 processor with onboard MAC.

There are other drivers around, but that one is fairly straight forward.
  There are PC type ones in c/src/libchip/network such as cs8900.c which
look fairly straight forward as well.

Basically the stack will create the full ethernet frame before it drops
down to the driver level which is only for sending and receiving frames.
  The thing to watch out for is that they are not necessarily contained
in one buffer, it will probably be a linked list of buffers containing
all the data required.

I hope this helps.

regards,

Ian Caddy