Definition

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Fri Jan 27 12:10:29 UTC 2006

Angelo Fraietta wrote:

> Greetings.
> I am putting RTEMS into my list of terms and definitions for my thesis
> (my copy edititor seems confised about teh difference between RTOS and
> RTEMS, so I'll put it in the terms and definitions). How does the
> following sound?
>
> RTEMS (for Real-Time Executive for Multiprocessor Systems): a specific
> brand of RTOS owned and distributed by OAR Corporation 4910L Corporate
> Drive; Huntsville, AL 35805, USA, and distributed under the GNU
> General Public Licence.

Not bad.. let's tweak it a little.

RTEMS (for Real-Time Executive for Multiprocessor Systems):  a specific
implementation of an RTOS based upon the RTEID and POSIX standards.
Initially developed and currently maintained by OAR Corporation; 4910-L
Corporate Drive; Huntsville, AL 35805, USA, and distributed under the
GNU General Public Licence.

That's 3 changes
  + brand -> implementation
  + owned -> initially developed and currently maintained
  + mention of standards

"owned" is too strong a word at this point.  We are more stewards at
this point.

You could call it Joel Sherrill's 2nd child and the most needy. :-)  I
started on RTEMS
in the summer of 1989 after my daughter was born.  She will be 17 in
May.  Since there
we have added 3 boys and a nephew.

--joel