grub help needed

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Thu Jan 19 12:24:43 UTC 2006

Karel Gardas wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill at OARcorp.com> wrote:
>
>> What do I need to do to get grub on this FAT
>> HD image?
>

> And do you need it really? If your purpose is to use it in Qemu, then
> you can freely use your already created floppy with hdd image:
>
> qemy -fda <floppy> -hda <hdd>
>
> you just need to edit your grubmenu file on floppy to automatically
> boot from hdd -- something like:
> kernel=(hd0)/hello.exe

This doesn't quite do it.  There are these messages:

ata0 master: QEMU HARDISK ATA-2 Hard-Disk (5 MBytes)
ata0  slave: Unknown device

Booting from Hard Disk

I get no indication the grub menu on the floppy is being used.

Chris's suggestion to read the HOWTO only gets me to about the same
point.  The HOWTO stops right where I am having trouble.

Any specific advice? :-)