grub help needed

Tony Richardson richardson at evansville.edu
Fri Jan 20 18:46:17 UTC 2006

Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill at ...> writes:

> Karel Gardas wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill at ...> wrote:
> >
> >> What do I need to do to get grub on this FAT
> >> HD image?
> >

> > And do you need it really? If your purpose is to use it in Qemu, then
> > you can freely use your already created floppy with hdd image:
> >
> > qemy -fda <floppy> -hda <hdd>
> >
> > you just need to edit your grubmenu file on floppy to automatically
> > boot from hdd -- something like:
> > kernel=(hd0)/hello.exe
> >

> This doesn't quite do it.  There are these messages:

It appears that you are trying to create and use a partition image
instead of a whole disk image.  I *think* Qemu expects that a hard
disk image will contain a partition table at the beginning of the
disk image.  With a partition table the kernel command becomes;

 kernel=(hd0,0)/hello.exe

I have posted full instructions on creating a Qemu compatible disk
image with FAT partition and grub here:

http://csserver.evansville.edu/~richardson/courses/EE458_Real_Time_Programming/
resources/rtems/create_hdimage.txt

I use FreeDOS to partition the disk, but you could use the
mtools mpartition command.

Tony Richardson