Cheapest hardware for Ada development (ARM7TDMI)?

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Jul 5 13:49:45 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 08:11 -0500, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 00:30 +0200, Andreas Schwarz wrote:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I would like to do embedded Ada development, nothing specific, just for
> >>fun and to get some experience. What is the cheapest hardware I can use
> >>with RTEMS and GNAT? I have experience with the ARM7TDMI-based
> >>controller families by Atmel and Philips. Is there any chance I can port
> >>RTEMS to such a target (e.g. 256K ROM, 64K RAM) and make it work with GNAT?
> >>

> >There is almost no chance to get this working, for 2 reasons:
> >1. Getting gnat functional is very hard in general.
> >

> Granted but Laurent Guerby's instructions are on the RTEMS Wiki.
Well, they only work if you are willing to abandon multilibs and to
replace your system's compiler. To me, this is beyond reason.

And .. if you're on a multilib'ed host, life will be even one magnitude
more unpleasant.

> >2. Arm support in GNAT is not implemented in GCC.
> >

> I haven't tried it in a while so I will have to trust you on this one.
What I said applies to gcc < 4.1.x.

Also remember: Once we should start shipping multilib'ed RTEMS binary
libraries, we will have to drop GNAT/RTEMS unless GNAT finally starts
supporting multilibs.

Ralf