Cheapest hardware for Ada development (ARM7TDMI)?

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Wed Jul 5 13:11:23 UTC 2006

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 00:30 +0200, Andreas Schwarz wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I would like to do embedded Ada development, nothing specific, just for
>>fun and to get some experience. What is the cheapest hardware I can use
>>with RTEMS and GNAT? I have experience with the ARM7TDMI-based
>>controller families by Atmel and Philips. Is there any chance I can port
>>RTEMS to such a target (e.g. 256K ROM, 64K RAM) and make it work with GNAT?
>>

>There is almost no chance to get this working, for 2 reasons:
>1. Getting gnat functional is very hard in general.

Granted but Laurent Guerby's instructions are on the RTEMS Wiki.

>2. Arm support in GNAT is not implemented in GCC.

I haven't tried it in a while so I will have to trust you on this one.
I spoke with
someone who has a working compiler on arm-linux but I have no idea what
version or what patches.

And don't forget....

3.  The last time I checked Ada hello world was about 400K code.  The
Ada run-time is large.   So you need to look at larger targets.  I would
recommend
disconnecting the ARM and Ada requirements if this is a learning project.
Use Ada natively on Linux and work through the on-line tutorials.  Use RTEMS
on an ARM simulator with an existing BSP.

--joel