SPARC V9 support

Alexandre Constantino alexandre.constantino at edisoft.pt
Thu Jun 1 09:36:25 UTC 2006

Hi,

I tried to run the hello_world executive on a SPARC V9 (Ultra 5) machine
using SILO but the result wasn't very encouraging.

Using the ERC32 and ERC32nfp OpenBoot error messaged me with "Fast
Instruction Access MMU Miss"
With the Leon1 BSP I received an "Illegal Instruction" error message.

Digging into RTEMS mail archives I found one single message (with no
replies) about the V9:
http://www.rtems.com/ml/rtems-users/2002/november/msg00216.html

And indeed the V9 has undergone a lot of changes, like the PSR
(Processor State Register) being deleted... And RTEMS can't work without
this one :)
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/806-3774

OTOH Wikipedia states that "The architecture has provided continuous
application binary compatibility from the first SPARC V7 implementation
in 1987 into the Sun UltraSPARC Architecture implementations."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraSparc
And on RTEMS webpage it is mentioned that RTEMS supports "SPARC V7 and
above CPUs"
http://www.rtems.com/targets.html

Could anyone clarify me on this?
Thank you for your time.