RTEMS virtual address to physical address on i386

Eric Valette eric.valette at free.fr
Wed Jun 21 18:30:43 UTC 2006

Daron Chabot wrote:

> On the 386 BSP, all addresses are physical. Kernel and user applications
> run at the same privilege level (i.e. 0).

That is simply not true. We use the VM to be able to clear caching on
PCI hardware registers for memory mapped hardware. Without this, caching
is on or off for all acessible address space which is simply not tenable.

BUT the mapping is virtual address = physical address

> And no, there is no DMA API like linux's pci_alloc_consistent().

malloc is OK.

--
    __
   /  `                   	Eric Valette

Tel: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76	Fax: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76
E-mail: eric.valette at free.fr