PR 1098: "struct ipovly" not packed.

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Sat Jun 24 10:58:32 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 14:50 +1000, Chris Johns wrote:
> This PR:
>
> http://www.rtems.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view&database=RTEMS&pr=1098
>
> contains a patch related to this thread:
>
> http://www.rtems.org/ml/rtems-users/2006/may/msg00060.html
>
> It requires the packing of "struct ipovly" and "struct tcpiphdr".
>
> I would like to commit this patch and close the PR but before I do this
> I would like to know why this patch is needed for a specific ARM board
> and network device and not others.
And I would like to know why this patch is needed at all.

1. I fail to understand why this patch is required at all, because I
don't see why __attribute__(packed) should have any influence on the
structs you are trying to pack.

2. __attribute__(packed) is hack and should not be used.

Can you provide an isolated example exposing the problem (Which?) you
are trying to solve?

Ralf