Signal handler & mutex, condition

Marek Prochazka Marek.Prochazka at scisys.co.uk
Tue Jun 27 21:49:50 UTC 2006

Hi,

>>I also assume that the timer implementation uses asynchronous signal
>>routines (ASRs). The RTEMS manual however says that "ASRs execute in the
>>context of a task and may execute any directive."
>
> You would have assumed badly especially since you could have read the
> source code.
>
> Regular TSRs are invoked as part of processing the clock tick interrupt
> handler and thus execute outside the context of any task/thread.

thanks for the reply - I haven't have time to investigate more and look into the source code. The documentation is somewhat unclear in this respect.

>>My interpretation of this is that I do not have to worry about the use
>>of mutexes and conditions in a timer service routine (and hence a POSIX
>>timer callback). Any thoughts on this, please?
>
> You do have to worry about them -- you can't block at all during a TSR.

O.K., but the problem is that RTEMS doesn't implement the SIGEV_THREAD way of implementation (as far as I know), so it is hard to use timers for many types of applications as the execution environment for signal handlers is too restrictive.

Thanks,
Marek

--joel