a bug

Victor V. Vengerov Victor.Vengerov at oktetlabs.ru
Thu Mar 2 14:48:59 UTC 2006

Frank,

OK, I have deal with MPCI in RTEMS long time ago, so it is possible I'm
wrong in details.

In my understanding, the following sequence of events is happened:
1. task 1 creates semaphore
  - MPCI SEMAPHORE_MP_ANNOUNCE_CREATE message sent to node 2 to announce
semaphore creation
2. MPCI task at node 2 process this message
3. task 2 obtains the semaphore
  - MPCI message SEMAPHORE_MP_OBTAIN_REQUEST sent to node 1 to get the
semaphore
  - task 2 blocked waiting for the answer
4. MPCI task at node 1 receive the obtain message and process it. As
result, it gets the semaphore and send SEMAPHORE_MP_OBTAIN_RESPONSE
message to node 2.
5. MPCI task at node 2 receives the response message and unblock task 2.
Semaphore owned by task 2.
6. task 3 obtains the semaphore
  - MPCI message SEMAPHORE_MP_OBTAIN_REQUEST sent to node 1 to get the
semaphore
  - task 3 blocked waiting for the answer
7. task 2 release the semaphore
  - MPCI message SEMAPHORE_MP_RELEASE_REQUEST sent to the node 1
  - task 2 continue it's execution
8. MPCI task at node 1 process SEMAPHORE_MP_RELEASE_REQUEST
  - it send SEMAPHORE_MP_RELEASE_RESPONSE to node 2
  - because task 3 waiting the semaphore, it send
SEMAPHORE_MP_OBTAIN_RESPONSE to node 2 to resume task 3.
9. MPCI task at node 3 process SEMAPHORE_MP_OBTAIN_RESPONSE message.
  - task 3 resumed and own the semaphore.

No deadlock should happen.

Victor

--